Sorin Mitel is a Senior Partner and one of the founders of Mitel & Asociatii.
Sorin is member of the Bucharest Bar, the Association of Fellows and Legal Scholars of the Center for International Legal Studies and an active member of the International Bar Association.
He graduated from the University of Bucharest – Institute of Law in 1997
He also holds a B.A. degree from Polytechnic University of Bucharest
Sorin has an extensive experience dealing with public procurement, PPP, PFI and infrastructure projects, EU and structural funds, aviation & aerospace, real estate & constructions, energy, natural resources & utilities and mergers & acquisitions.
His clients include global corporations, major developers & contractors, financial institutions and other lenders, investment and mezzanine funds, corporate borrowers and publicly held companies.
His practice primarily focuses on advising on:
- major foreign investment projects in Romania, with both private capital and State-backed funds. Assistance for such large and complex projects often involves multi-jurisdictional coordination of the investment processes as well as legal advice on a broad array of expertise such as financing of the project (EU and structural funds, state-backed guarantees, lending from international financial institutions focused on development), land and assets acquisitions in Romania, setting-up of joint venture or greenfield projects, permitting and regulatory matters or government negotiations
- renewable energy projects, assisting in all development phases from financing of the project to construction and regulatory/permitting matters
- complex mezzanine financing deals assisting mezzanine lenders for negotiating the financing package and also recommending the appropriate guarantees and triggering mechanism (positive/negative covenants, reporting obligations and veto rights) for accelerated payments
- real estate development projects in various sectors of industrial and retail businesses but also on residential constructions
- infrastructure projects, including project finance (structuring of financing, PPP) and public procurement procedures
Sorin is a speaker in various conferences and a published author with several articles on PPP, PFI and infrastructure, mergers & acquisitions and securities.
Relevant experience includes the following significant transactions:
- Advising a large mezzanine investment fund in connection with a multi-million mezzanine debt financing for a leading European group of companies specialized in radiology and radiotherapy. The assistance included a full legal due diligence investigation for all the group companies, structuring the transaction, negotiating the financing agreements and coordinating the multi-jurisdictional teams involved in the transaction
- Advising a leading European company active on green energy services in connection with the development of a photovoltaic park with EU funding
- Advising a leading global corporation active in aircraft industry, for a prospective new industrial facility in Romania
- Advising the Romanian Government and prospective investors in connection with several privatization procedures
- Advising in connection with a development project for the thermal rehabilitation of residential buildings, involving financing from the European Investment Bank
- Advising a global energy and environmental services player for several concession and waste management projects in Romania
- Assisting a global leader in the consumer and industrial sector (for adhesive technologies, laundry & home care and beauty care) in connection with developing a new industrial plant in Romania, co-financed from EU structural funds
Languages: Romanian, French, English
Phone: +40 21 314 31 55 / 57